HAB LCSD Cova DBS Feishang Group J.P. Morgan Recruit Hong Kong Regal Hotel San Miguel Xiashun Holdings Limited

Hong Kong
News Headlines
Hong Kong
Causeway Bay
Past Winners
APBF Pairs
Past Winners
Hong Kong

Hong Kong is a special administrative region (SAR) of the People's Republic of China (PRC), situated on China's south coast and enclosed by the Pearl River Delta and South China Sea. With a population of over seven million people, Hong Kong is one of the most densely populated areas in the world. About 95% of the people of Hong Kong are of Chinese descent, the remaining 5% of the population is composed of non-ethnic Chinese.

Hong Kong's de facto official language is Cantonese, a Chinese dialect originating from Guangdong province. English is spoken by about 3 percent of the population as an everyday language and by about 30 percent of the population as a second language. Signs displaying both Chinese and English are common throughout the territory. Since the 1997 handover, an increase in immigrants from mainland China and greater integration with the mainland economy have brought an increasing number of Putonghua speakers to Hong Kong.

Hong Kong has a humid subtropical climate. Summer is hot and humid with occasional showers and thunderstorms, and warm air coming from the southwest. Summer is when typhoons are most likely, sometimes resulting in flooding or landslides. Winters are mild with the occasional cold front bringing strong, cooler winds from the north. Spring is humid and changeable. Autumn is generally sunny and dry.

Hong Kong's transportation network is highly developed. Over 90% of daily travels (11 million) are on public transport, the highest such percentage in the world. Payment can be made using the Octopus card, a stored-value card widely accepted on railways, buses and ferries, and accepted like cash at other outlets. The city's rapid transit system, the MTR, serves over 3 million people a day. Hong Kong Tramways, which has served the territory since 1904, covers the northern parts of Hong Kong Island. The Star Ferry service, founded in 1888, operates across Victoria Harbour and provides scenic views of Hong Kong's skyline for its passengers. Other ferry services are provided by operators serving outlying islands, new towns, Macau, and cities in mainland China. The Peak Tram, the first public transport system in Hong Kong, has provided vertical rail transport between Central and Victoria Peak since 1888. In Central and Western district, there is an extensive system of escalators and moving pavements, including the longest outdoor covered escalator system in the world, the Mid-Levels escalator. Hong Kong's bus service is franchised and run by private operators. Double-decker buses are almost exclusively used; single-decker buses are only used for routes with lower demand or roads with lower load capacity. Public light buses serve most parts of Hong Kong, particularly areas where standard bus lines cannot reach or do not reach as frequently, quickly, or directly.

Hong Kong International Airport is a leading air passenger gateway and logistics hub in Asia and one of the world's busiest airports in terms of international passenger and cargo movement. It has been rated as the world's best airport in a number of surveys.

This is the first time that Hong Kong is hosting the Asia Pacific Bridge Federation Championships since its return to China in July 1997 (the last time was June 1997). This yearˇ¦s championships will consist of the Rebullida Cup Open Team, the Presidentˇ¦s Cup Ladies Team, and the PABF Senior Cup Senior Team.

Best view in browser Internet Explorer 6.0 or above in resolution of 1024 x 768 Last Update: 4 June, 2013